December 20, 2009

Sharing Memories - Christmas Activities (Week 4)

Last week we wrote about Winter Holidays in our Sharing Memories - A Genealogy Journey Journal. I hope everyone will join me this week to talk about memories of Christmas (or other December celebrations)

We didn't have much money when I was growing up. Christmas was a time of asking (and hoping!) for one gift under the tree. One of my earliest Christmas memories is when I was 10 years old. I wanted a doll that walked when you held its hands but I knew my chances were slim as it was quite expensive.

Christmas morning at my Grandmother's in Guelph was a mixed bag of emotions - I got my doll (the photo is of me with that longed-for doll) but my parents got coal and potatoes in their stockings. I guess I still believed in Santa Claus because I remember being very upset that they didn't get our usual orange, nuts in the shell and a pomegranate!

There are so many Christmas memories, some good, some bad. My father died on Christmas Day and so Christmas is not always a happy time for me. But memories whether happy or sad, should be shared so that our descendants have a glimpse into our lives.

I hope you will join me to write about Memories of Christmas past in this week's Sharing Memories Journal

2 comments:

Sanjay Maharaj said...

I can imagine how hard Christmas must be each year especially when your fahter passed away on that day.But having that day serve as a reminder of all the memories you have of him must be a wonderful feeling. Do keep his legacy going and ensure future generation also remembers him

The Grandmother Here said...

I love seeing Christmas trees from the past. Much simpler than today but they filled us with the same awe.