February 28, 2010

Sharing Memories (Week 14): Grandmothers

We are on Week 14 of our 52 weeks of Sharing Memories - A Genealogy Journey Journal. I hope everyone will join me this week to share more memories! You know how happy we are to find an ancestor's diary or journal. Just imagine how excited your grandchildren or great grandchildren will be to read your stories in the future.

Even though we've been talking about school memories, and we may want to carry on with High School, I want to take a little side trip down memory lane, and talk about grandparents. What memories do you have of them? What did they look like? Were they happy go-lucky or serious? Talkative or quiet? What hobbies did they have, what did they work at in their younger years, where did they grow up - the list of memories you might have of your grandparents could be endless!

My Grandmother McGinnis, my father's mother, didn't talk much to us children, but she loved to play cards. Gin Rummy was her favourite. She'd play quietly, not saying much then suddenly cry out GIN! followed by a big smile and giggle. She had beautiful long white hair that was always in a bun at the back of her head, and I don't remember her wearing anything other than dark polka-dot dresses!

My other grandmother, my mother's mother, Grandma Ruth, was quite different. She always dressed beautifully in bright colours. Red was her favourite! Her hair was always styled and she chose her accessories carefully. These are photos of both my grandmothers with their first born grandchildren.

Grandma McGinnis never spoke of her family. I had no idea she had brothers and sisters, and knew nothing of her parents. Grandma Ruth however was fun and lively and told me stories of her childhood, of her brothers and sisters, of her parents and grandparents back in England.

Grandma McGinnis was widowed at age 57 and never remarried. Grandma Ruth married three times, outliving each of her husbands. I loved Grandma Ruth's stories of her past, and she is the grandmother who gave me many of her treasures when I was a teenager. Many of my family heirlooms are ones she passed on to me and I treasure them greatly.

What memories do you have of your grandmothers? I was a bit shy with my Grandmother McGinnis but only because she was so reserved. I hope my own grandchildren will have fun and loving memories of me when they are older.

3 comments:

Geniaus said...

Thanks for this post - it brought back beautiful memories of my grandmother and great aunt with whom I spent lots of time in school holidays. We spent many companionable hours playing poker and gin rummy with Nanna's jar of pennies. Somehow I inherited the pennies and still have them packed away in a box.

hummer said...

Isn't it interesting how different grandparents can be. It sounds like you had some wonderful times with your grandmother Ruth and at least enough to know your other grandmother. I will join you again for a Sharing Memory.

The Grandmother Here said...

One of my grandmothers died long before I was born and the other when I was not quite five years old. I enjoy doing genealogy and learning about my ancestors. The best is when I can find pictures and look into their eyes.