April 4, 2010

Sharing Memories (Week 19): Easter

This is Week 19 of our 52 weeks of Sharing Memories - A Genealogy Journey Journal. It's not too late to join in! Your memories can be private, you write them in a journal at home, or they can be shared publicly here on OliveTreeGenealogy Blog or on your own Blog.

This week's topic is of course Easter! We were not a religious family so Easter had no religious overtones for us. We didn't go to church and we didn't hunt for Easter eggs so all that was left was the tradtional new Easter outfit. However we didn't have much money so actually never got one!

I always felt left out as the other girls in town wore the latest item of clothing or something brand new. My sister wore my grandmother's hand-me-downs, while I wore skirts and blouses that my mother sewed out of leftover material.

Easter was hard for me as all the girls would talk about the new Easter outfits they were getting, or had already received. Worse yet was seeing them in those beautiful outfits!

What did I get each Easter? I only recall getting underwear and maybe a chocolate or two.

One Easter (I think I was 12) I was given a set of underwear (not just one pair - SEVEN pairs!), each a different pastel colour with the days of the week on them. I remember being very upset instead of overjoyed. I knew my girlfriends would all be wearing new outfits when I went to school after Easter Monday. And I would be wearing pastel underwear... oh the agonies of being a teenager!

My happy Easter memories are of Easters with my own children, when we would hunt for eggs and have a special Easter meal. They always got a nice Easter toy and outfit on the Easter weekend.

When the children were older I started a tradition of writing clues for an Easter Egg hunt that lasted all morning, sometimes into the afternoon. The first clue would be at their place at the breakfast table. Solving the clue would lead them to Clue #2 and so on. Along the way they might find small chocolate eggs but the big prize was a huge Easter bunny that couldn't be found without following all the clues. I loved that time the most and miss the fun of it all now that my children are grown and have children of their own.

No comments: