April 12, 2010

Sharing Memories (Week 20): Grandma's Stories

This is Week 20 of our 52 weeks of Sharing Memories - A Genealogy Journey Journal. It's not too late to join in! Your memories can be private, you write them in a journal at home, or they can be shared publicly here on OliveTreeGenealogy Blog or on your own Blog.

This week the topic is Grandma's Stories. What stories did your grandmothers tell? Were they funny? Sad? Dramatic?

My Grandmother McGinnis never told stories; in fact she rarely spoke to me! But my Grandma Ruth told stories constantly - about her childhood, her brothers and sisters, her parents. It was wonderful. I craved those stories and would ask her for them over and over. I never tired of hearing how as a child she was very sickly and had to stay in bed watching the children play outside her window. How her mother was a fabulous cook who ran a boarding house in Ramsgate England. How her dad had a withered left hand (I still don't know what that was all about but in photos he does seem to be holding his arm awkwardly), how he had seizures and when he was driving his cart to deliver coal, he'd have a seizure but his horse knew the route and would keep going to every single customer, then home.

My grandmother (youngest girl in this photo, 2nd from left standing beside her big sister) and her brothers, sisters and parents in Ramsgate England circa 1900

I miss my grandmother and wish she were here so I could ask her more.

No comments: