June 6, 2010

Sharing Memories (Week 27): Childhood Pets

This is Week 27 of our 52 weeks of Sharing Memories - A Genealogy Journey Journal. I hope you'll join us with your memories! Write them down - you don't have to share them. Your memories can be private - write them in a journal at home, or they can be shared publicly here on OliveTreeGenealogy Blog or on your own Blog.

This week I'm going to talk about my childhood pets. We always had dogs. The first dog I remember was a little black dog, I think he was called Blackie.

I really can't recall all the others (except the last one we had named Tinker), but every time one dog "disappeared" my mother would firmly declare that we were not getting another. A few days or weeks later, in would come my dad with a puppy....

We always put the new puppy beside the oil furnace in our living room, in a cardboard box complete with soft towel and an alarm clock to sound like puppy's mother's heartbeat.

When I was about 9 I decided I wanted a cat but my mother was allergic so cats were not allowed. Being rather stubborn, I told a neighbour that my parents were letting me get a kitten and she gave me one from her cat's litter to take home to see if my parents liked it.

I kept the kitten in a suitcase in my closet (lid propped a bit for air of course!) and fed it milk and mushed up meat. After a couple of days my parents figured it out - turns out the neighbour asked my dad how they liked the kitten! Of course the kitten went back immediately to the neighbour. I honestly don't remember getting a lot of grief over it, just a lecture on allergies and telling fibs and going against your parent's orders.

In true poetic justice, when I was older and had my own home I bought two kittens, Over the next year or two I kept getting sicker and sicker, ending up in hospital several times, until allergy tests showed I was allergice to (guess what!!) CATS!

Now I just have dogs. And a donkey. And guinea fowl and chickens. But no cats.

2 comments:

vintage-cove said...

It's dogs all the way for me. Many Weimeraners over the years - Markus, Brutus, Baron, Bruno. Then I left home and my husband and I got a German Shepherd named Caesar, then another - Max, of course! And now we have a Great Dane cross named Bella. We got her from Pet Rescue who saved her from the pound. She was going to be put down because no one wanted her. She is the most beautiful princess.

Back to the childhood memories, my brother wasn't interested in having his little sister hanging around, so Brutus & Baron were my friends. We played together, went for walks, and generally had loads of fun. I never could teach Baron to catch a ball though. I think perhaps he was far-sighted and just couldn't see the ball when it got too close.

Cindy Bergeron Scherwinski said...

Thanks for the wonderful blog prompt for this week .. I've posted on my blog and hope you'll stop by:

http://anaharcockermom.blogspot.com/2010/06/sharing-memories-week-27-childhood-pets.html

I have enjoyed this genealogy journey ..

Fondly,
Cindy