January 9, 2011

52 Weeks of Sharing Memories: Memories of Grandparents (Week 2)

Last year saw 52 weeks of topics for readers (and me!) to start a genealogy journal. I called this series Sharing Memories - A Genealogy Journey

Over the years I've learned that keeping a journal is not always easy. Yet it's important for future generations. If we want to preserve the past, our own memories will one day be as valuable as those of our great-grandmothers. Our descendants will be thrilled to find a journal chronicling our lives and the lives of our parents and grand-parents.

Carrying on with our topic for Week 2, I thought this week we could write our memories of your grandparents and their likes and dislikes.

* Which grandparent were you closest to and why?

* What were your grandparents' hobbies?

* What is your strongest memory of your grandparents?

I only had grandmothers. Both my grandfathers died before I was born. One grandmother (my father's mother) was what you might consider a typical grandma. Grandma McGinnis wore dark (navy blue I think) shapeless dresses, usually polka-dotted, and sensible flat shoes. Her beautiful long white hair was always pulled back severely in a bun at the nape of her neck. She didn't talk to us children much, but she always had a smile for us.

One thing I remember most about her was that she loved to play cards. When she'd come to visit we would play Gin Rummy (I learned that game at a very young age) and she'd play her hands quietly until suddenly she'd call out "GIN!" and slap her cards down on the table with a giggle.

My other grandmother was quite different - vivacious, fun-loving and almost always dressed in red. She told stories of her childhood, her parents, her grandparents and just about any topic you asked about. She was always knitting. When she visited the knitting needles flew as she, my mom and another daughter (my aunt Lily) sat and talked while knitting.

Grandma was married three times and each of her husbands treated her like a Princess. She was very high-strung, never slept well and had a funny little twitch which to me made her seem quite mysterious and interesting! Grandma was afraid of the wind, ships, the water - you name it, she expressed a fear of it. But I adored her and spent a lot of time with her, especially in my teenage years.

Good memories - this week's topic made me smile. I hope you smile too as you write yours.

2 comments:

remi online said...

i used to play rummy with my grandmother too, but know i don't anymore, now i preffer to play rummy on the internet.

GR8Dame said...

I was closest to my paternal great-grandmother. She fell and broke her hip when I was about 3 or 4 - and I had trouble with my legs making it extremely painful to walk. She and I wiled away the hours in the big bed in the front bedroom (yellow, three windows facing south with a HUGE oak tree so we pretended it was our tree top). We made up stories, silly songs, and she told me about her life in the Civil War era... she died when I was in the 9th grade but I will never forget the many, many gifts she gave me.