February 6, 2011

52 Weeks of Sharing Memories (Week 6): Oh Those Siblings

This is Week 6 of our second set of 52 weeks of topics for readers (and me!) to start a genealogy journal. Please join us for Sharing Memories - A Genealogy Journey We focus on memories of our parents, grandparents and others. We write for our children and grandchildren, that the memories are not lost over time. I hope you are keeping a journal, whether it is private or public, and joining us as we write our memories.

This week I thought we could write down our memories of our siblings as we grew up. Or you could mention your grandparents' siblings, tell us a bit about them. Your children and grandchildren will love hearing the stories of how oldest brother made you eat a mustard sandwich! Or how he made your other brother swallow one of those big early 1900s pennies, then wash it down with perfume... Those are true stories from my life....

What are your stories? How many siblings do you have? Are they older? Younger? Are they your best friends or did you fight like cats and dogs when growing up?

I have three older siblings - two brothers and one sister. I can't say too much about them here in public because they are all online and might be reading this blog!

But my oldest brother L. was a devil. He made me eat a mustard-ketchup sandwich when I was about 9 years old. He made my sister C. eat worms. He made my other brother D. swallow a penny with perfume to wash it down.

Mother kept our freezer locked so we children couldn't help ourselves to treats such as the precious ice cream that she doled out on weekends. But L. knew where she hid the key so during the week when she was at work, he would charge us 5cents for a teeny tiny speck of ice cream on a spoon.

D. talked in his sleep. So at night L. would ask him questions and D. would respond even though asleep. Using this method L. found out where D. hid his money that he saved and took it all to buy cigarettes!

Our cousin C. grew up with my older siblings and lived with the family before I was born. C. was 10 days older than my brother L. The two of them dreamed up the craziest stunts, then make D. test them out, telling him they would not let him play with them if he didn't agree. So D. was the reluctant "volunteer" or stunt-tester. He once jumped out of a high tree on a trapeze C. and L. built. Unfortunately they didn't think to measure the distance from the tree branch to the ground and brother D. hit the ground with quite a thud.

C. and L. made gunpowder after reading up on how to do it. They put it in a hole they dug in a the forest and talked D. into lighting it. Kids - don't try this at home!!

I don't think I should talk about some of the other dangerous stunts they pulled in case any young children are reading this!

And brother D. was not an angel. He used to pull a crazy stunt with his buddies which I can't talk about here. Let's just say it involved a refrigerator and was dangerous.

Sister C. and I shared a room and fought like crazy. She's five years older than me, and we couldn't get along as children.. After my brothers married and left home we finally got separate bedrooms and things quieted down a bit.

Our house was always full of kids - especially my friends and my brother D's friends. Kids were always coming and going and you never knew how many would be eating at our supper table. I raised my children the same way - friends were always welcome and if they were around at supper time, a place was set for them at the table.

I'm curious and excited to read your stories of your siblings!

No comments: