May 8, 2011

Sharing Memories (Week 19 of 52): Mother's Day Memories

It's Week 19 of our Sharing Memories - A Genealogy Journey Join in each Sunday as we write and share our memories of childhood. Your descendants will be thankful that you did! Write here as a comment, or on your own blog, or in a private journal, but please write!

Today is Mother's Day and I have been thinking all week about what Mother's Day experiences I gave my mother when I was a teenager. I used to make her breakfast in bed - French Toast with lots of maple syrup. Sometimes I made fancy coupons that were good for 2 hours of ironing or a week of cleaning the bathroom. I don't remember what, if anything, my father did for her while he was alive, and he died when I was just barely 14.

When I became a mother, my husband always took me out for a nice supper and the children made me cards or little items at school. I still have most of them in my Genealogy Treasure Box. Once they left home and moved away they began a tradition of calling me on Mother's Day. Sometimes my eldest grandchildren send me a Mother's Day Card - that's very special to me.

My mother passed away two years ago but I have a daughter, two daughters-in-law and a former daughter-in-law, all of whom are amazing mothers to my grandchildren. I wish them the happiest of Mother's Days!

What are your traditions?

2 comments:

crazykittykat1 said...

My grandmother always made a huge deal over Mother's Day and we all got dragged out to a restaurant. My mother likes a low key Mother's Day and so do I. So now we give each other cards and a small gift. That's our little tradition. My father always gets my mother flowers. (they just celebrated their 56th wedding anniversary) My kids are wonderful, they do little things too. I keep a lot of the cards they made as a kid as well.
Happy Mother's Day, and thanks for letting me share.

Kat

The Grandmother Here said...

Mother's Day in my childhood was unique. My mother and her friends would go away for the weekend! It was prime time for bird-watchers to go to Point Pelee on Lake Erie for spring migration. That was the shortest route across the lake so therefore the birds' favorite flyway. As the exhausted little birds perched in trees, the bird watchers could see 100 different species in one weekend.