September 4, 2011

Sharing Memories (Week 36): Back To School Memories

It's Week 36 of our Sharing Memories - A Genealogy Journey Please join us each Sunday as we share our memories of childhood. Your descendants will be thankful that you did! Share a memory here as a comment, or on your own blog, or in a private journal, but please write!

It's that time of year - back to school for the kids. Was it a big deal when you were going back to school in the Fall? What kind of special things do you remember? Were you excited, happy, sad or blase about going back to school?

I loved school so was always excited when summer was over and I was about to start another year. My parents didn't make a big deal out of it and I don't recall getting new clothes or anything special such as a new binder or any other school supplies. I think I only got what I absolutely needed!

I know I got new binders when old ones wore out but I was expected to reuse until absolutely impossible to use anymore! New clothes were only purchased when I grew too much to wear my old ones. And from Grade 9 on I was responsible for buying all my clothes myself except for big items such as a winter coat or boots.

What a change from my own children's back to school routine! The end of summer meant new clothes, running shoes (aka sneakers), binders, backpacks, pens, pencils, kleenex (yes we had to provide our own kleenex in my kids' schools), pencil crayons, pencil cases, and much much more. And of course the new clothes and running shoes for them meant whatever was "in" that year. 

My husband spent every summer on his grandparents' farm, so for him going back to school was an ordeal and one avoided as long as possible. He often started school later than the other kids, as his parents and grandparents spent the first part of every September on an island in Quebec, fishing and camping. The entire family went every year and it was a tradition no one would think of missing out on.

We all had different experiences I'm sure. What were yours? Your descendant will be thrilled to find out what you did.


1 comment:

S.P. Bragg said...

What a great idea about sharing memories of back to school. My last week involved going to the Toronto Exhibition for the entire week, with a friend and had the time of our lives. Luckily for us, she had an uncle who lived in Toronto and was quite happy to welcome two teenagers into his house for the week... not that we were there very often, but we loved looking forward to that week!