September 11, 2011

Sharing Memories (Week 37): Where Were You?

It's Week 37 of our Sharing Memories - A Genealogy Journey Please join us each Sunday as we share our memories of childhood. Your descendants will be thankful that you did! Share a memory here as a comment, or on your own blog, or in a private journal, but please write!

This is a difficult memory but we all share it - where were you and what were you doing on 9/11? Such a terrible and tragic day but one our descendants will want to know more about. And sometimes it's helpful to write our memories of traumatic times in order to heal.

I was at home in Ontario Canada when my sister-in-law phoned me to tell me that a plane had flown into one of the Twin Towers. While we were talking, the second plane hit and we both realized something was very very wrong.

I quickly turned on the television and was met with the horrendous sights and sounds that most of us saw that horrible day. As the tragic events unfolded I phoned my husband at work several times. I was crying, and in a state of disbelief. He left work and came home and together we sat through the horrors, wondering what was going on and what was going to happen next.

My friend Chris Brooks was visiting New York and had told me he planned to go to the Twin Towers that week and I was worried sick about him but thankfully he had gone a day or two before. I contacted Harry Macy, editor of the New York Genealogical and Biographical Record to make sure he was okay. He was.

I was safe in Ontario but my heart went out to those in the towers. And their families hoping and searching for them. It was a horrendous experience and I still feel shock when I think on it. I think it traumatized us all and changed our world forever.

Where were you? I hope you and your loved ones were okay.

3 comments:

Cheryl Cayemberg said...

What a day that was. I'm sure I'll never forget it. I'm glad everyone dear to you was OK.

Charleen said...

I was on a cruise ship,from Vsncouver to Alaska with my mother snd my two grown daughters - our 2nd day out. Heard another passenger say something about all the planes being diverted to Csnada, went back to ststeroom and turned on CNN. Devastating pictures, bought tears to my eyes.

Anonymous said...

I was testing for a job. It was an all day process and I knew nothing about the tragedy until a mention was made in the final interview in late afternoon. When I got home at 9PM, my family was glued to the TV. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I thought, what happened to our fighters...our U.S. defense protocol... as all this played out? Our government has highly touted its ability to knock bombs and comets out of the sky before they hit U.S. soil, but all it took were a few simple planes. I wondered why? Heroes helped pick up the pieces, but nothing will ever erase the shame of our political leaders or mitigate the loss of our grandparents, mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers and children.