October 2, 2011

Sharing Memories - Genealogy Journal Writing Week 40: Autumn Celebrations

It's Week 40 of our Sharing Memories - A Genealogy Journey Please join us each Sunday as we share our memories of childhood. Your descendants will be thankful that you did! Share a memory here as a comment, or on your own blog, or in a private journal, but please write!

What memories do you have of Autumn? Hallowe'en for North Americans of course, and for Canadians, the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend are always big events. But do you have any other October celebrations? My brother, son, husband, one daughter-in-law, my sister-in-law,  and one grandson all have birthdays in October so it's a busy month for us. 

One thing we did every Fall when I was a child, was to drive to Meaford Ontario to buy Apple Cider. Jugs and jugs of apple cider, which my dad loved. We also I think bought bushels of apples to store for the winter. My mom made baked apples (which I detest to this day!) every night for dessert after supper.

I wasn't fond of that long drive to Meaford. I used to get car-sick every time we drove anywhere longer than about 15 minutes. So the drive was not pleasant. And if my two brothers and sister were with us, they were always mad at me as I got the window seat there and back. That meant they had to squish beside me on the bench seat and only two would get a window seat one way.  I'm sure they had no idea how horrible the ride was for me as I often had to hang my head out the window to be sick!

But the memories are fun to recapture and put down on virtual paper. What fun things did you do every Autumn?



1 comment:

DebbieG said...

One of my favorite memories is the year we were in the states, (Dad was stationed in Saudi Arabia for 5 years) for Halloween. The costume was really sad just a brown jumpsuit and a paper mask to be a chipmunk. None the less I was in a contest at the bank and took 3rd place, LOL, they took pity on me. I think I was about 6 or 7 at the time and kept explaining what I was and that I did not have a tail.