March 4, 2012

Sharing Memories (Week 10): Imagination

Welcome to Week 10 of our 52 weeks of Sharing Memories - A Genealogy Journey for 2012. This is our third year writing our memoirs and childhood memories for our descendants.

If you are just joining us, you can take a peek at the last two years' of prompts by clicking on the Sharing Memories tab at the top of the blog. You can jump in at any time and you can skip topics that you don't like. There are no rules, it's all about getting your memories down on paper. The prompts are here as a guide to help if you are stuck for ideas.

Share your memories here in the comment section, on your own blog, or privately in a journal you keep at home.

My mother told me that when I was little I used to pretend to be other people. I'd come downstairs in the morning and act out one of my grandmothers or my aunt. I guess I studied little habits they had and used those to portray whoever I was pretending to be that day!

My mother had very little imagination or creative spirit and she confessed that she found it most annoying. Apparently I would not respond or answer questions unless called by the correct name. So if I was being my Grandmother McGinnis that day, my mom (and other family members) had to call me "Olive" or "Mother" - whatever name they used for my Grandma.

I think it's quite funny that I did that but I honestly have no memory of it so I must have been quite young, possibly around 5 or 6.

What games did you invent using your imagination only?

No comments: