April 1, 2012

Sharing Memories (Week 14): People I wish I'd Known Better

Welcome to Week 14 of our 52 weeks of Sharing Memories - A Genealogy Journey for 2012. This is our third year writing our memoirs and childhood memories for our descendants.

If you are just joining us, you can take a peek at the last two years' of prompts by clicking on the Sharing Memories tab at the top of the blog. You can jump in at any time and you can skip topics that you don't like. There are no rules, it's all about getting your memories down on paper. The prompts are here as a guide to help if you are stuck for ideas.

Share your memories here in the comment section, on your own blog, or privately in a journal you keep at home.


I've been thinking a lot about Dave Moffat. He was my grandmother's friend and often came to our house for a visit. He gave us kids beautiful gifts at Christmas, by far the nicest presents we ever had under the tree. I remember him giving me a lovely pearl necklace when I was a teenager, and an old-fashioned woman's dresser set (comb, brush, mirror) with gold paint on them.


I don't think we ever had Mr. Moffat stay over for a meal though. He was alone in the world and I think he looked upon us kids as his family. He sure was good to us.


When I was 18 I moved to the big city of Toronto.  Mr. Moffat got in touch with me and started taking me out for nice dinners and to the movies. Once he took me to Maple Leaf Gardens to see 3 hours of Bagpipe Music. He loved bagpipe music but I left there with a raging headache!

It's sad to think now that I really didn't know anything about him except that he worked as a Page at Queen's Park. I don't know how he met my Grandmother, why they were friends, and why he kept up a relationship with me until just before he died. I did't even know he'd died, he just stopped phoning.


I've learned since from my Auntie that Mr. Moffat had been married once, an unhappy marriage that ended in divorce. He had no children that my aunt remembers and lived alone for many years until his death.


I wish I'd gotten to know him better.  Did you have someone special in your life that you wish you'd known better?

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I wonder why he never got invited for dinner.