April 22, 2012

Sharing Memories (Week 17); First Bike!

Welcome to Week 17 of our 52 weeks of Sharing Memories - A Genealogy Journey for 2012. This is our third year writing our memoirs and childhood memories for our descendants.

If you are just joining us, you can take a peek at the last two years' of prompts by clicking on the Sharing Memories tab at the top of the blog. You can jump in at any time and you can skip topics that you don't like. There are no rules, it's all about getting your memories down on paper. The prompts are here as a guide to help if you are stuck for ideas.

Share your memories here in the comment section, on your own blog, or privately in a journal you keep at home.

Do you remember your first bike? How old were you when you got it? Did you start off with training wheels? A tricycle? Who taught you to ride your bike?

I never had a bike. My brother tried to teach me to ride his old bike when I was 10 but I fell off, got mad at him and never got back on!

I did have a tricycle when I was younger and I loved it! We had dirt roads, not paved and no sidewalks in our little village.  I used to go tearing down our gravel driveway to the dirt road peddling like mad down the street.

When I was much older (in my 30s) I tried to teach myself to ride a bike, even bought a lime-green lady's bike but no luck. I'm just not very good at it. My lime-green lady's bike ended up being the bike my husband rode back and forth to work every day - a 45 minute ride along a rather busy highway. I'm sure he must have received some odd looks from passersby.



No comments: