May 13, 2012

Sharing Memories (Week 20): Friday Night Cards!

Welcome to Week 20 of our 52 weeks of Sharing Memories - A Genealogy Journey for 2012. This is our third year writing our memoirs and childhood memories for our descendants.

If you are just joining us, you can take a peek at the last two years' of prompts by clicking on the Sharing Memories tab at the top of the blog. You can jump in at any time and you can skip topics that you don't like. There are no rules, it's all about getting your memories down on paper. The prompts are here as a guide to help if you are stuck for ideas.

Share your memories here in the comment section, on your own blog, or privately in a journal you keep at home.

I was telling my husband about playing cards when I was a kid. We played cards quite a bit and I was considered a whiz at Concentration. Sure wish I had that kind of steel-trap memory now!

My Grandmother McGinnis loved to play Gin Rummy so when she visited, my dad, me and  my grandma would play. She almost always won and would slap her cards down with a chuckle as she called out "Gin!"

When I was a young teenager my brother and his wife used to play cards with us every Friday night. I loved those evenings of sitting around with chips and coke (never anything different!) and having a few laughs. I can't remember what card games we played but I suspect it was Hearts or Old Maid. At midnight my sister-in-law would make toasted salmon sandwiches for us all. How I miss those Friday nights and those sandwiches!

What kinds of games did you play as a family group? Do you miss them? Have you carried the traditions on to your own children and grandchildren?

1 comment:

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

Card playing was pretty much frowned upon in our family but we did play board games (snakes and ladders). In my own family, the kids loved their board games, as do/did we, but cards have never really taken off.