May 27, 2012

Sharing Memories (Week 22): The Bread Box

This Week 22 of our 52 weeks of Sharing Memories - A Genealogy Journey for 2012. This is our third year writing our memoirs and childhood memories for our descendants.

If you are just joining us, you can take a peek at the last two years' of prompts by clicking on the Sharing Memories tab at the top of the blog. You can jump in at any time and you can skip topics that you don't like. There are no rules, it's all about getting your memories down on paper. The prompts are here as a guide to help if you are stuck for ideas.

Share your memories here in the comment section, on your own blog, or privately in a journal you keep at home. The important thing is to write.

Last week I thought about our Bread Box. Sounds like a silly memory doesn't it? I don't know why it popped into my head. You rarely see them anymore so maybe 100 years from now my descendants won't even know what one is.

My mom had a bread box on the kitchen counter - the kind with the flip up front. It was made out of some cheap metal, maybe tin?

When i was first married, I had a breadbox too. Old habits die hard I guess! But the bread didn't last long, it would often go moldy before the loaf was finished.

Funny how that went out of style at some point. Now I store my bread in the refrigerator. It dries out but it lasts longer. Kind of a Catch-22 situation. 


7 comments:

saveeverystep said...

Things have changed so much that I've never managed to get around to buying one. I actually don't even eat bread any more, so maybe just as well!!!

Catherine Crout-Habel said...

Funnily enough I don't remember mum having a bread container, just remember loaf of bread on round cutting board on the table...with the knife - before "sliced" bread. I have a wooden bread container with roll-top lid I love & mostly store plastic bags in it for re-cycling :-) but do put bread in bin before it goes in the freezer. Thanks for the reminding.

Texicanwife said...

I used to love going to Granny's house. She had a double bread box. [On over the other.] It was probably some kind of aluminum. In one she kept the bread, but in the other she kept her cookies! I have a wooden one today, with a tambour door. Love it!

Celia said...

You don't need to put your bread in the frig, Lorine - just put it in the freezer immediately. Then take out only what you want to use that day. It will always taste fresh and moist, and definitely not get dry or moldy! I package mine in half-loaves, and take out a half-loaf when we need more bread.
We had a bread box with decals on it of a big rooster and a few hens... no idea why, but there it is. And yes, it always smelled moldy so eventually we stopped using it.

Lorine McGinnis Schulze said...

Celia, I have tried freezing bread and don't like the taste :-( I think it gets freezer burn very quickly. It might just be my freezer but I'm not sold on the idea

Celia said...

I freeze mine (home-made bread) in my chest freezer - almost flash-frozen. Never a hint of freezer burn. Too bad - perhaps it could be your freezer. I double bag my bread too, which also helps. My friends and family get frozen half-loaves and seem quite thrilled with them. Hmmm. Too bad. I always hated the dryness that happens with frig-bread. Oh well. The bread box is definitely an icon, and deserves to remain in the past!!

Lorine McGinnis Schulze said...

Hmm I wonder if it's because yours is homemade? Come to think of it when I get my son to bring sourdough bread from a bakery when he visits (because I can't buy it here) I cut it in half and freeze it unsliced and it's great.

So maybe sliced bread doesn't freeze well and homemade is best of all!