Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

January 31, 2022

Finding a Knight in My Tree

 

Recently I’ve been devoting free time to digging deeper into my mother’s English ancestry.  Both her parents were born in Ramsgate, Kent England and her lineage is solidly England for many generations.

Finding that my ancestor Solomon Hougham aka Huffam was a young Knight immortalized in a stained glass window in a Parish Church in Kent England was thrilling. 

Solomon Hougham born 1475, in stained glass window st Nicholas church in Ash, kent, England. He is the second figure from the left.

A second find (see image below) gave more details of Solomon and his life. Now I am researching why Solomon had elephants on his cloak and shield. I want to know what their significance was to him or his family.




2 comments:

Nancy said...

How exciting! That's wonderful. I'm looking forward to learning about the elephants.

Unknown said...

Wonderful find for the family! I am tracing this family surname in Maryland and Illinois. Thank you!