Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

February 18, 2019

Family Day Celebrations

Some of my family in 2013
Today is the Family day celebration for Alberta (AB), British Columbia (BC), New Brunswick (NB), Ontario (ON), and Saskatchewan (SK). It is not celebrated in other parts of Canada.

Family Day was originally created to give people time to spend with their families but it also provides a day off between New Years Day and Good Friday as they are approximately three months apart. Unfortunately, not everyone gets Family Day off, which makes it a debatable holiday in many provinces.

It's a strange holiday in my opinion but family should be a top priority! Why else would we genealogists spend hours/days/weeks/months/years searching for ancestors if we didn't think family was important? 

This is some of my family in 2013. I had managed to gather most of them together at our home. Only six of my ten grandchildren are in this photo. My eldest son and his family are not present. But with us that day were a brother and his wife, an aunt, a step-daughter and her children, also some assorted cousins.

I'm standing in the middle wearing a scoop neck black sleeveless top, hands held in front. Funnily enough my only daughter is standing on my left, also wearing a scoop neck long sleeve black top, holding her hands in front. No one else is standing in that position - is it genetics?

We are not doing anything for Family Day this year. What are you doing this year, or if you don't get this holiday, what have you done in the past?

No comments: