Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

February 26, 2019

Happy 23rd Birthday Olive Tree Genealogy!!

Can you believe it???? Twenty-three (23!) ago my baby was born. No, not one of my children - that was when I started my website Olive Tree Genealogy

Olive Tree Genealogy actually began sometime in the winter of 1995 but it wasn't until February 1996 that it was given space on the old Rootsweb site.
 
Many of the big sites we use today did not exist when I set up Olive Tree Genealogy. CyndisList came online right after me. Rootsweb started up around the same time. Ancestry.com didn't exist.

I am often asked why I created Olive Tree Genealogy. After my husband died in 1993 and I was injured at school by a student, my enforced inactivity allowed me to begin creating Olive Tree Genealogy site. Visitors are also intrigued by the name - how and why did I come up with it? My middle name is Olive and I am named after my paternal grandmother Olive McGinnis. So it seemed an obvious step to name my site after her (Olive) and after our "tree".


I started with one ships list which contained my ancestor Cornelis Van Slyke's name, then I wrote  about Huguenots, Walloons, Loyalists and Palatines. The  ships list was so popular and I received so many requests for more that I began hunting for more. Now Olive Tree Genealogy has over 1,600 ships lists online. 

Look at me now! I am a dinosaur in Internet terms. 23 years is a very long life on the Internet. Wonder if I can last another 23!


9 comments:

Miss Merry said...

Congratulations! What an undertaking. I love the story of the name.

Linda Stufflebean said...

Happy anniversary! 23 years is incredible.

Jacqi Stevens said...

Yeah, go for another 23, Lorine! And congratulations on the past set! From cutting edge innovator to re-invented service for the present, you've certainly succeeded in speaking to the need.

Susan said...

Happy anniversary, and many thanks for all your contributions.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Olive Tree,

I always appreciate reading your genealogy tidbits. I get some helpful ideas from you.
Mary Anne Connell

Unknown said...

Congrats and thanks

Judy said...

Congratulations on 23 years! Thanks for all the information you provide us with. Hoping you carry on at least another 23 years. Judy

jayson said...

Congrats, you have done a awesome job,throughout the years and im amazed on all that you do, i wish i could be so organized

Andrea Kelleher said...

Congratulations on such an accomplishment!