|From H 1144 V58 |
Burford Christian BRADT
After realizing their description didn't match what was in the film I was viewing, I spent several weeks going through each online film and noting what volumes and dates each contained. In September 2013 wrote to Canadiana.org through their website and to their Twitter account to provide them with the corrections but had no response. That's right - no response to my offer to provide them with a detailed and correct description of the contents of each film. I call that a huge fail!
What is the Heir & Devisee Commission?
"This microfilm consists of records documenting the review and determination of claims for land brought forward by the heirs, devisees, and assignees of individuals originally located by the Crown on land, in cases where no letters patent had been issued. The First Heir and Devisee Commission was in existence between 1797 and 1805." [Source: Ontario Archives]
10 of 21 Films Are Wrong on Canadiana.org
H 1133 and H 1134 are correctly identified and described on Canadiana.org so let's move on to the incorrectly described films. 10 of the online 21 films are incorrect. H 1135, H 1136, H 1137, H 1138, H 1139, H 1140, H 1141, H 1142, H 1150 and H 1151 are all incorrectly described and the wrong contents listed on the Canadiana.org website.
Finding Aid for H 1135
|Example of an index found in Heir & Devisee Commission Reels|
I have added image numbers to help genealogists find the start of each section. This will work as a Finding Aid for genealogists.
- Image 14 V16 Johnston District
- Image 148 V 17 Johnston District Location Certificates, alphabetical A-B
- Image 149 “A” names Land Certificates
- Image 186 “B” names Land Certificates
- Image 319 V 18 Location Certificates C-F
- Image 319 “C” names Land Certificates
- Image 402 “D” names Land Certificates
- Image 434 “E” names Land Certificates 1787-1795
- Image 448 “F” names Land Certificates 1784-1803
- Image 485 V 19 Location Certificates G & H
- Image 486 “G” names Land Certificates 1785-1806
- Image 547 “H” names Land Certificates 1784-1803
- Image 619 “J” names Land Certificates 1784-1802
- Image 665 V 20 Location Certificates K-M
- Image 666 “K” names Land Certificates 1784-1810
- Image 701 “L” names Land Certificates 1784-1801
- Image 757 “M” names Land Certificates 1783-1803
I have published the full set of corrections for the digitize records on Olive Tree Genealogy website at Heir & Devisee Commission This is a work in progress.