Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

December 28, 2018

My New Year's Resolution - Singular not Plural!

Every year I think about what I want to accomplish in the upcoming year. I used to make long lists - 5, 10, even 12 goals sometimes. But I never accomplished them all! So a few years ago I decided to make one goal - one important goal - that I could focus on.

A single goal sounds easy, right? But it's not! At least, not for me, because usually that one goal involves being more organized or knuckling down and finishing a project. Because I have so many irons in the fire, it's not easy for me to devote the time needed for goals like those.

You know what they say - "A goal without a plan is just a wish" So I need to plan before I set my goal and then plan how to achieve it.

Where to Start?

I have so many projects to start or finish or re-organize that I hardly know which one to choose for 2019. For example I'm not finished editing my second mystery novel involving genealogist Janie Riley, called A Grave Secret. I need and want to finish it! It will make me so proud to see it along with my first mystery Death Finds a Way.

Speaking of my first mystery, if you've read it and liked it, could you take a minute and leave a review on Amazon? Reviews help authors and I'd really appreciate it.

But I also need (desperately) to organize my folders of family photos and genealogy documents. They're a mess. There's really no other way to describe them. I need to make sure  all genealogy document images have file names (not numbers assigned when I downloaded them), organize them, file them properly in clearly labelled folders, and save them to my WD Passport as a backup.

I'm behind in my goal to write more New Netherland Settlers books. I have two that are almost ready for publication. Should I focus on them? They would be the fastest, easiest to accomplish....

Aha - the Light Bulb Goes On

Writing this blog post has helped me to figure out what my goal is going to be. I have decided to focus on finishing A Grave Secret and get it published! If I finish it before the year is done (and I'm pretty sure I will) I'll get cracking on those two partially completed New Netherland Settlers books. Unless of course a bright shiny object should appear in front of me!

Wish me luck! What are your goals for 2019?

3 comments:

Colleen G. Brown Pasquale said...

Good luck with your 2019 projects!

Toni said...

My only "goal" last year is going to carry over to next year and possibly the years after that. I can't find my mother's great grandfather. It has turned into a one name study. Too much information but none of it the information I'm looking for.

Unknown said...

Good luck getting your book finished and published. It is always easy to start so many things, but difficult to get them completed. I admire you for publishing so many books.
I continue with genealogy research, and the more I find, the more puzzles there are to solve. However, it is fun and every time one more piece gets put into place, I feel like I have accomplished a lot.
Happy New Year to you and yours.
Mary Anne Elgie Connell