Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

December 18, 2018

Putting My Christmas Memories Away

Yesterday I spent several hours sorting and organizing Christmas decorations. I have hundreds, probably enough to decorate 10 trees. I even have a few of the old Santa decorations from the tree we had when I was young. And every year I buy more.

That's me on the left (many years ago!) in front of a little tree. See the red Santas with the twisted legs? They were one of my favourites when I was a kid. Those long legs that could be twisted around in every direction really tickled me. Santa was tall and skinny instead of rotund, another fact I loved as a kid. I managed to save a couple of those Santas and they've gone with me through many years and many moves.


No More Christmas Decorating


So yesterday was bittersweet because I made the decision last month to not decorate trees anymore. Each year Christmas has become more difficult for me to manage. Usually I entertain 30 or more family - and I do all the cooking. I loved it, but my physical issues are making it too challenging to continue. As well my family is dwindling, either from death or geographic distance. So it just seemed like this year would be a sad Christmas, and it's hard to get in the spirit with that mind-set. Hence the decision for this year at least. Maybe longer.

Some Memories are Painful
 
Each decoration I found, unwrapped and held, reminded me of something - an event from the past, a tree put up 10 years ago that looked like a Charlie Brown Christmas, a friend, a relative who gave me the ornament as a gift, or family Christmases of long ago. 

Mind you, Christmas has never been my favourite holiday. My father died Christmas Day when I was 14. I miss him. So Christmas is sprinkled with sadness for me. That's me with my dad the Christmas I turned 10.


After a lot of thought and discussion with hubs I made my decision and set about packing items to be stored.



So Many Tubs of Ornaments!

I organized the ornaments by colour and by theme in case I break down and decorate a small tree next year.

I ended up with 3 huge tubs, one for purple, one for green, one for the neutrals (ivory, white, grey, silver and gold) and several smaller tubs - one for red decorations, one for decorations from my childhood or made by my children or gifts from friends and family, one for kids decorations for their little tree, one for miscellaneous sets in assorted colours, and one labelled "winged creatures" which are birds, dragonflies, butterflies - you get the idea - anything with wings.

Then I sorted all the garlands and ribbons and so on and put them all in a tub. Next came tags and wrapping paper and ribbons for presents - that took 2 more tubs. By the time I finished, I had a total of 9 large tubs representing Christmas memories. 



It Will Be Okay


I feel a bit sad but I also feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders. Hubs and I discussing what we will do over the Christmas holidays. We have friends coming up from the city for Christmas Eve so I might cook a traditional Christmas dinner - although my friend wants me to just order Chinese Food! We are not sure what else we might do. Perhaps we'll just close the blinds, put the fireplace on, and watch our favourite movies while sipping tea. 

7 comments:

Linda Stufflebean said...

I understand completely not wanting to expend all that energy decorating. I've actually gone on strike a couple of times and not decorated when family members didn't offer any help. However, instead of packing away all the ornaments, why don't you get a few of those ornament hangers and display maybe two or three of your favorite ornaments each year? Five minutes to set up and five to put away. :)

Marian B. Wood said...

Thinking of you and thanking you for sharing your memories and experiences. You may not know how many people you touch with your blog! Hope you have a good year ahead.

virginiaallain said...

I'm still decorating each, but am questioning the amount of Christmas stuff I'm holding onto. Some things I don't put on the tree anymore because it is smaller and because the pieces are shabby. It feels like I'm tossing out memories. It seems disrespectful to toss out the old nativity set with its mismatched pieces. I know that donating it to a charity shop will probably mean it will end up in the trash.

Toni said...

I did that last year but I gave everything away. A couple of times I've thought to go to the Christmas closet for something and then remember I don't have that any more. So far, it's OK. I did buy some lights this year but that was probably a good idea anyway. LEDs run cheap.

Devon Noel Lee said...

So glad your organized. This is the first Christmas since 2012 that I'm Misty eyed. Mother died that year shortly before Christmas and it's been hard.

Have a great Christmas even if it's simplier than usual.

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas, Lorine! You are the very first "genealogy cousin" I ever found back in the 1990s, when I began researching the Constantine McGinnis family. Your help was so instrumental in getting location information on the family in Canada. Remember, back in the day one had to scroll through reams of microfilm? And then to find you are also a cousin on the VanSlyke side... You are a Blessing in our lives! Thank you so much for all you do!

Judy Stickney, Minnesota

Charles C Andrews said...

I always enjoy reading your posts. Sad to read you lost your father on Christmas when you were 14.

My mother lost her younger sister on Christmas. I always remember my childhood Christmases tinged with melancholy. Seeing how it affected my mom, I can only imagine how it affected you losing one of the most important people in your life.

Thank you for sharing. I wish you peace and comfort this Christmas season.