Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

July 26, 2020

N is for New Netherland

Olive Tree Genealogy is continuing a new Alphabet Genealogy series of blog posts. I'm not following the usual way of going A-Z surnames. Instead I will create a one word "tag". Then I will share an ancestor (mine, my husband's, an inlaw's or one of my children's) who fits the tag

Today's letter is N for New Netherland

Many of my readers know I have dozens of New Netherland ancestors. For those not familiar with the term, New York state was originally settled by the Dutch and named New Netherland. If you have New Netherland ancestors please take a look at my pages with ships lists 1624-1664 including an exclusive project I have been working on for many years - compiling lists of those who sailed to New Netherland that are not found on published lists.

You will also find a history of New Netherland, and several interesting databases where you might find an ancestor name.

Some of my many New Netherland ancestors can be found on my site:

BRADT. BRATT Bradt Family Descendants of Albert Andriessen de Noorman aka Bradt
DAMEN Damen Family Descendants of Jan Cornelise Damen from Bunik Netherlands
LEROY. LARAWAY. AUDY.  Simeon LeRoy dit Audy French settler to New France (Quebec) then New York
PIER Pier Family Jan Theunissen and Arent Theunissen Pier and their descendants
POST The New Jersey Post Family Descendants of Adriaen Crijnen Post. Book Available
RYCKMAN Ryckman Family Harmen Janse Ryckman of New Netherland
VAN ALSTYNE The Van Alstyne Family - The descendants of Jan Martense de Wever aka Van Alstyne
VAN SLYKE. VAN SLYCK The Van Slyke Family - The descendants of Cornelise Antonissen Van Slyke and his nephew Willem Pieterse Van Slyke. Two books on the family also available
VAN VALKENBURG Van Valkenburg Family Lambert Van Valkenburg and his son Jochem Lambertse
VROOMAN The Vrooman Family in New Netherland New York Book Available

No comments: