Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

August 11, 2020

V is for Van Names

Olive Tree Genealogy is continuing a new Alphabet Genealogy series of blog posts. I'm not following the usual way of going A-Z surnames. Instead I will create a one word "tag". Then I will share an ancestor (mine, my husband's, an inlaw's or one of my children's) who fits the tag

Today's letter is V for Van Names. I have several, all from Holland. They all ended up in New Netherland (present day New York) in the 17th century. You can read about some of them on my New Netherland Settlers section.

Vanderburg
Van Alstyne
Van Horn
Van Rottmer
Van Slyke
Van Schaik
Van Woert
Van Valkenburg

2 comments:

Unknown said...

OK Lorine - here is my list: (direct ancestors only)
Van Norden
Van Schlichtenhorst
Van Alstyne
Van Antwerpen
Van Apperloo
Van Bommel
Van Der Bogart
Van Der Linde
Van Der Volgen
Van Deusen
Van Dyck
Van Eps
Van Hoesen
Van Northstrand
Van Patten
Van Rottmers
Van SLyck
Van Vechten
Van Vranken

There is some overlap with yours, as we already knew.

Unknown said...

We have 27 different van names, primarily from Belgium with a few Dutch and German thrown in. Sometimes pronunciation is difficult though!