Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

December 16, 2015

Invite an Ancestor for Christmas Dinner: #2 on my Guest List

Today I invite all of you to join me in coming up with an ancestor guest list for your Christmas Dinner. If you don't celebrate Christmas, feel free to choose a different holiday. 

Each day between now and December 25 I am going to invite one of my ancestors to join our family to celebrate with a traditional Turkey Dinner. We will all sit down together on December 26th. That should be interesting!

Please think about who you want to invite and tell us why you want to have them at your table. Would you have a gift for them under the tree? What would it be? 

#2 on my Guest list is my great-grandpa David George Simpson. David was born in Ramsgate England in 1861. He suffered from Epilepsy and my grandmother told me an intriguing story about him. It seems that he drove a horse and cart to deliver coal and often would have what his family called an "episode". His horse would carry on with the usual route, his customers would come out and help themselves to their allotment of coal, check that David was okay and send the horse on its way. Eventually the horse ended up at home and David's wife would come out and help him into the house. 

I got the impression from my grandmother that David was a kind, gentle man and I would love to chat with him. As for a gift under the tree, I would like to give him some medication for his epilepsy. 

2 comments:

Colleen G. Brown Pasquale said...

Sounds like David would be an entertaining guest. Life is his era was different than ours. Of course, you'd need some hay & a carrot for his horse.

Olive Tree Genealogy said...

Colleen I wasn't even thinking he might bring that horse! We can put the horse in our donkey field - there's lots of hay there already. :-)