Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

March 20, 2007

Nova Scotia Vital Records Online

The Nova Scotia Archives and Records Management has a new website.

Nova Scotia Historical Vital Statistics

It includes a fully searchable database containing one million names. Every name is linked to its original record from the following options:

Births 1864-1877
Marriages 1864-1930
Deaths 1864-1877 and 1908-1955

I spent a few hours on the website looking for my daughter-in-law's family. There were problems which I'm sure will be fixed as the weeks progress. But I did find quite a few incorrect images linked to the index record. There is no way to scroll forward or backward through the images displayed, which I consider a major drawback. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy these are online! But it's very frustrating to not be able to get to the correct image once you've found your ancestor.

The website was excrutiatingly slow (yes, I'm on dialup but even for dialup it was bad) and intermittently would glitch when I clicked to go back or to do a new search - dumping me back to the start page or displaying previously searched for names. So, patience is required! But I did find some terrific records for my daughter-in-law.

I wrote to the Support Desk to report all the glitches I found. They promise a response within 10 days so I'll post here to let everyone know what happens.

No comments: