Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

July 13, 2012

When Grandkids Start Asking About Great-Grandfathers - Yay!

The Ancestor Wall in Living Room
Yes brainwashing telling grandkids about ancestors does pay off! As many of my readers know, I brainwash tell genealogy stories to my grandkids every time I see them. We play genealogy games. We go on cemetery hunts. We play the Genealogy Board Game I created.

Yesterday it all paid off. My 7 year old grandson was sitting on the couch with me and he looked up at our walls of ancestor photos, then asked, "Grandma, do I have any great-grandpas up there?"

I showed him the photo of my dad in his army uniform, and explained that was his great-grandpa McGinnis. Then he asked who all the people were in the rest of the pictures. So we went through them one by one. "This is my great grandmother, so she is your great-great-great grandma!" He was fascinated and asked questions such as "What is she to my Daddy?" and "How do you get to be a great-great-great grandpa?" and "How old do you have to be to be a grandpa?"

These questions allowed for an explanation of different generations, which he seemed to understand.  I can't wait for the next round of questions!

6 comments:

Dawn said...

Yay! It sounds like the beginning of a budding genealogist! Keep it up :)

Unknown said...

Isn't that just the best! I so look forward to that when I have grandkids. My brai...telling my kids about their ancestors is slowly paying off too.

Unknown said...

Isn't that just the best! I so look forward to that when I have grandkids. My brai...telling my kids about their ancestors is slowly paying off too.

Peter said...

This seed will grow, just give it time (and a little water now and then):)

GeniAus said...

Great work, Lorine.
You remind me of the Jesuits who say "Give me a child until he is seven and I will give you the man"

Natalie Parker said...

That's great. Sometimes I think I talk to my daughter too much and cause her to lose interest. But I will keep it up anyway, and write down as much as I can for her and any prospective grandkids.