Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

February 1, 2016

WooHoo! Olive Tree Genealogy is 20 Years Old!!!

Twenty years ago my life changed. I started Olive Tree Genealogy website at a time when the internet was just in its baby stages. There were no webpage editors, no blogs, and no one I could ask for help. 

I learned to code my webpages manually, using trial and error. Most websites were battleship gray with no bells and whistles. I was pretty excited and proud of myself when I figured out how to make mine pink-peach! 

The winter of 1995 was actually the debut of the Olive Tree Genealogy website but it was only a few pages. 

It's was located at http://www.bconnex.net/~lschulze/

The nice graphics I created don't display and I don't have them anymore but you get the idea. 

February 1996 saw Olive Tree Genealogy move to Rootsweb.com as the full-fledged OTE site. Here's what Olive Tree Genealogy website looked like in 1997
 
In 1998, considering itself all grown up, Olive Tree Genealogy took its own domain name and moved to its current home. 


My website was among the first to bring primary sources to the Internet with its passenger lists of ships from the Netherlands to New York in the 17th Century. 

What started as a project to take my mind off my accident and losing my husband to cancer, became a career! 

Olive Tree Genealogy grew from a dozen pages to over 2500 pages, and over the years have created in total 10 websites and 10 blogs. If interested you can read the full Biography of Lorine, the creator of Olive Tree Genealogy

See the list of my 10 websites and 9 blogs
  
BLOGS
WEBSITES

6 comments:

Alona Tester said...

Wow ... incredible doesn't even cut it. What an amazing effort, and what a huge amount of time you have put in to these to help others. Take some time to celebrate Lorene, you most certainly deserve it.

Discover Genealogy said...

Congratulations Lorine. I continue to read your contributions daily and always get something of interest from them. Keep up the good work.

Wayne Shepheard at http://discovergenealogy.blogspot.ca/

Susan said...

Congratulations Lorine, thank you very much for all your hard work and constant dedication. I am truly grateful for all that you contribute to the world of genealogy. You are an amazing woman! Enjoy celebrating you achievements.

Dana Leeds said...

That's absolutely incredible! You were a cyber pioneer! Congrats to you & your blog. Thank you for paving the way!

Unknown said...

Congratulations Lorine!! It is really a Passion for you, and we thank you for all the hard word you went through!
I followed you for a while, and then I did my DNA with FTDNA, and Ancestry! I have found my bio family on both side! My bio mother passed away long time ago, and my father as well but more recently! Both were living in Toronto! I was left in a building apt. downtown in Montreal so that's why it wasn't easy to find out where, and who were my relatives came from? I have a huge family, I met many of them, and I was received so warmly, it was such a happy time for me! I have family in Ontario, all over in USA, and Europe! I'll be 75 yrs soon, so it's never too late to discover your ancestors! I did it too for my children, and my grandchildren!
Keep the good work, Thank you again, and I'll keep looking for your blogs!

Olive Tree Genealogy said...

Nicole, I'm thrilled for you!! Such good news to find your ancestors and your birth family.

Lovely to hear from you

Lorine