Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

January 25, 2007

Tag, I'm It - Continued

As promised, here are the rest of the 5 things you probably didn't know about me (or as I think of it, things no one wants to know and I probably should never have told). The first 2 things I should probably never have told anyone are found here.

3. One of my hobbies is going to antique auctions, stores, flea markets and garage sales. I’m an avid collector. My collections include Snuff Boxes, Coffee Mills, Scales (General Store Candy scales, Hanging scales, Apothecary Scales, Postal Scales, etc), Civil War Era Photo Albums and photos, and much more! I had trouble deciding which of my collections is my favourite but I think it might be this double wheel coffee mill I found at an auction last year. My grandson is sitting beside it, so that gives you some idea of its size.

4. I am not a daredevil but I have several daredevil ancestors. My second cousin, 3 times removed (Stephen Peer) has the dubious distinction of being the only tightrope walker at Niagara Falls to fall to his death. In June 1887 Stephen outdid Blondin by walking across the Niagara River between the cantilever and suspension bridges on the smallest wire rope ever used - only 5/8ths of an inch in diameter. Three days later he fell to his death from the wire. Here’s a photo of my daredevil ancestor walking his tightrope over Niagara Falls.

5. Something else you might not know about me is that I paint – mostly watercolours – and have done some pottery and sculpting. I played French Horn in High School and our band made an LP record (remember them?) which I still have. I also learned to play classical guitar and recorders, and my husband and I used to play duets on Alto and Soprano Recorders – sitting high up on rocks on deserted islands on Georgian Bay.

My only small claim to fame is taking an art class with Canadian artist Sharon MacKinnon (when she was just starting out as an artist) and being taught watercolours by John Hartman

I have tagged three other genealogy bloggers – Illya D’Addezio, Steve Johnson and Brian Massey Let's see if they accept the challenge.

For a list of other’s who’ve been tagged, see Randy Seaver’s blog

1 comment:

Rick Crume said...

Wow, between genealogy, collecting, pets, art, family and your extensive Web site, I don't know how you do it all!