Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

September 16, 2008

Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935

I'm pretty excited about the Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935 that came online on Ancestry yesterday. You can search the Canadian Passenger Lists by using the Free Trial on this page

The lists include the following ports of arrival (yes, even some Eastern USA ports!)

* Eastern US Ports
* Halifax, Nova Scotia
* Montreal, Quebec
* New York, New York, USA
* North Sydney, Nova Scotia
* Quebec, Quebec
* Saint John, New Brunswick
* Vancouver and Victoria, British Columbia and Pacific Ports


I've already found several of my ancestors arriving in Canada in the early 1900s. My grandmother always told me that her Fuller in-laws came to Guelph Ontario in 1920 and settled there but in 1933 they went back to England. Well, I found them on a 1930 passenger list (surprise!) but it said they had lived in Guelph between 1920 and 1929. I have not found them before 1930 - more puzzles to unravel!

My husband has several ancestors who sailed from England to Canada in the late 1800s and so far I've found four of them. One is Samuel Sandercock who was the father of Cecil and Bill who are featured in my Displaying Family Memories articles.

The Canadian Passenger Lists are going to be an incredible bonus to those searching their ancestors' arrival in Canada 1865 to 1935. I can hardly wait to get back to searching today!

For those whose ancestors arrived before 1865 see Filling in the Gaps in Ships Passenger Lists to Canada

No comments: