Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

February 19, 2009

Smile for the Camera - Little Beauty and her brother

Another short break from my posts about how to begin a Genealogy and Family Hope Chest to submit an entry for Smile for The Camera.

The word prompt for the 11th Edition of Smile For The Camera is brothers & sisters? Were they battling brothers, shy little sisters, or was it brother & sister against the world? Our ancestors often had only their siblings for company. Were they best friends or not?




This is one of my favourite pictures from my collection of over 3,000 CDVs (Cartes de Visite). It was taken ca 1858 of Cornelia and Smith Fowler, children of Dewitt Fowler.

Look at the tenderness in little Cornelia's hand lying on top of her brother's. I love her little basket purse with the flowers and her hair so carefully done in ringlets. Little Cornelia is dressed as a miniature adult as was the custom for that time period. Smith is sitting upright in his chair looking very serious as befits an older brother.

Sadly little Cornelia died shortly after this photo was taken. She is buried in Waites Corners Cemetery in Cambridge New York. Her big brother Smith is buried there too. He lived until age 54, dying in 1903.

3 comments:

Taylorstales-Genealogy said...

What a beautiful picture! I can clearly see why it is one of your favorites. Thanks for sharing!

Judith Richards Shubert said...

I love this beautiful photo. I can just imagine Smith helping take care of Cornelia. And I imagine he felt lost without her. Thanks for letting us enjoy it.

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

They looks so close :) I'm sorry to hear Cornelia died shortly after the photo was taken... She was beautiful.