Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

August 2, 2011

My Y-DNA & mtDNA Surnames & Haplogroups

I've had my Mitochondrial DNA tested (mtDNA) and my brother's Y-DNA tested at Family Tree DNA . Here is a summary and our ancestor surnames in each category. I am only listing the surnames that belong in the direct lineage tested.

Perhaps someone will spot a connection.

My Paternal Lineage: Surname McGINNIS. Y-DNA Haplogroup is  I1b2a. Apparently my brother has a rare mutation called M284. 

McGINNIS (DOWNEY spouse) - Co. Down Ireland to Ontario Canada 1847
McGINNIS (KING spouse) - Wellington Co. Ontario Canada
McGINNIS (PEER spouse)  - Wellington Co. Ontario Canada

My Maternal Lineage: mtDNA Haplogroup is J

This follows the female lineage only from me, my mother, her mother, her mother's mother and so on.


ANSELL- England (married in Kent England 1792)
ELVERY - Kent, England
ELVERY- Kent England
STEAD- Kent England
SIMPSON - Kent England

Do you match any of these surnames and locations? I am going to start including this list in any emails I send to connections from Family Tree DNA . So far I've not heard back from anyone regarding my mtDNA and several email addresses bounce. I'm not sure why anyone would register with a DNA site, have their DNA tested and then not keep their contact information up to date. But they do.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Do you follow Ancestorville Genealogy? Their Facebook page posts daily chats for different states/countries etc...perhaps you could find an upcoming chat for countries you have listed and find a connection that way?

Good Luck - I'm hoping to do this testing one day as well!

NickMGombash said...

My paternal Y-DNA is Haplogroup I, as well. Although, my paternal line is from Hungary. Pretty interesting! I'm hoping to have my mtDNA in a few weeks.. that line is from Germany.

Unknown said...

My mtdna is J2a1a. I had autosomal done, but cannot compare with Ydna. (yet) I have an ancestor Harvey Clark who was married to a Alice McGinnis. Her father was from Ireland and Mother from England. I will check further see if any other surnames match up. If you would like to look at my tree or get a report on that line of my family, just email. Rachel Johnson

Anonymous said...

MY Y DNA haplogroup is also I1b2a I live in london my family have been in the U.K. since at least 1700 our family name is Mole