- Remember the 3 Rules - Name, Dates and Location! Be sure to include all three in your query.
- What is your ancestor's name?
- When was he born (or married or died?). If you don't know, make a guess - you must know if he was born 1820-1840 for example, versus being born 1910-1920!
- Where did your ancestor live or settle or where was he born? Be sure to include this information in your query.
- Tell what sources you have searched (example: I've searched the 1910 and 1920 census)
- State exactly what you want to know (example: I'm looking for my ancestor's death)
- Write a descriptive subject line for your post or email (example: looking for Harvey Smith in PA circa 1850)
- Leave lots of white space! Don't run your sentences all together. Leave space (white space) between your information and your question(s). Remember, the easier you make it for readers, the more chance you have of getting help
- Don't write a 5 page essay! Summarize, be precise and specific
Good QuerySubject: Looking for Homer Jackson ca 1830 OH-1901 Pennsylvania
Homer Jackson was born circa 1830-40 in Ohio, lived in Pennsylvania from 1860 until his death in 1901. Parents unknown
He married Mary (surname unknown) circa 1859. Known children were Jesse, James, Sarah & Mary all born Pennsylvania in 1860s.
Have found family in census records from 1860 to 1900
I am looking for Homer and Mary's Marriage Record, hoping to find her surname and their parents' names.
Bad QuerySubject: Help!
Looking for info on Homer Jackson in Pennsylvania