Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

December 16, 2018

Linking 2 Separate Family Lines, Mine & Hubs

I love it when family lines intersect! Recently I discovered that my first cousin, twice removed (Anne Ruby McInnes) married my husband's first cousin, three times removed (Alexander Butler) in Ontario in 1919.

I'm blown away by this. McInnes is my father's ancestry and stems from Daniel, the brother of my great-grandfather Alexander McGinnis. Daniel ran away from home as a young teenager, and changed the spelling of his surname to McInnes. My line stayed in the Guelph Ontario area, where Daniel's settled in Wingham area of Ontario.

The Butler line from my husband stems from his African American ancestor Jonathan Butler who settled in the Waterloo area of Ontario. Alexander Butler is the son of the brother of hub's 2nd great grandfather Joseph Butler.

I also discovered yet another linking of two families (mine and my husband's) in 2015 and wrote about it on Twists and Turns Can Lead to Great Genealogy Surprises


The intersection of completely unrelated lines is fascinating and has me wondering if this happens very often in family trees. Just this morning a Facebook friend posted that she just discovered that the daughter of her 4th great grandparents married the grandson of her husband's 5th great grandparents.

Inquiring minds want to know! Who all has found this intersection in their family?


2 comments:

Unknown said...

My father's dad married my mother's Aunt. Also three brothers married three sisters and cousins from one line married cousins from another. Happens a lot in small towns. But it makes using Ancestry a little tricky when connecting them

Colleen G. Brown Pasquale said...

Thanks a fun link! Wonderful discovery!