Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

February 23, 2014

Sharing Memories: Grades 5 & 6 - What do you Remember?

Grade 5 Report Card
Sharing Memories is a series of weekly prompts to help all genealogists (including me!) with writing up memories of our ancestors and our childhood. 

We all love to find a diary or letters written by great grandma or grandpa where they talk about their lives and share their memories. Think how excited one of your descendants will be to read about your memories and your stories! These stories will be lost after a few generations unless we preserve them. And what better way than in a weekly themed post. 

At the end of the year you will have 52 stories written about your childhood, your parents, grandparents and who knows what else.

If you write your own blog please use the hashtag #52SharingMemories if you are posting on Twitter or Google+  You can also  post your stories as comments on this blog post or in a private journal. It's your choice! The important thing is to write those memories down now! 

Grade 6 Report Card
Another week of school memories - this time Grades 5 and 6. I goofed last week and repeated Grade 3 as a topic along with Grade 4 so hopefully those following the prompts weren't too confused. 

Grades 5 and 6 are pretty much a blur for me. I was still in Lord Elgin Public School but Grade 6 was my last year there as that was the highest grade the school had. For Grades 7 and 8 all the kids in Ajax went to St. Andrew's school. So for Grades 5 and 6 were were still isolated - kids from the old area (north of HIghway 401 and the Railway tracks) at Lord Elgin and kids from the new area (south of the Highway and the tracks) elsewhere.

I do remember my dad getting mad at my teacher, Mrs. Wood, in Grade 6. When I got my report card every subject was an "A" but in the "Effort" column I got "B" in every one. My dad went to my teacher to find out what the heck that meant. Her response was that yes I got all A's but I didn't try very hard!  Therefore my effort was a B in everything. 

On my report card the Effort Column is whited out because my dad freaked and insisted she change them. He pointed out it wasn't possible to get anything higher than an A for the actual mark so he didn't see how I could try any harder!  

Grade 6 was also where I first realized that my name got misspelled. Yep, Mrs. Wood had to white out my first name because she spelled it wrong on my report card. 

Love the Habits and Attitudes part of those early report cards!





No comments: