Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

March 18, 2016

Civil War & Revolutionary Soldiers' Graves Dug Up and Spilled

Anger as remains of soldiers from Revolutionary and Civil war are dug up and their spilled throughout historic cemetery 

The historical cemetery dating back to 1758 holds graves of veterans from the Revolutionary War, Civil War and World World I 
Among those dug up was the grave of 14-month Emma Jane McElmurray who was buried in 1884 [By Daily Mail Reporter]
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2311453/Outrage-graves-belonging-U-S-soldiers-child-dug-spilled-Georgia-cemetery.html#ixzz43I2Qwulw

6 comments:

Squirrely said...

Hope they are found and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
So sad the disrespect for the deceased.
Shirley

T said...

Published: 22:08 EST, 18 April 2013 | Updated: 05:40 EST, 20 April 2013

Old news. That article hasn't had any comments for over 2 years.

Carol K said...

What has happened since this article was published in 2013?

Olive Tree Genealogy said...

I'm aware it happened a few years ago. It's an issue worth discussing and one that happens frequently. So, "old news" or not, I'll continue posting links to topics and articles I believe are relevant to genealogists.

G Cappello said...

I'm thankful that you continue posting links to topics and articles that may be relevant to genealogists. Thank you and keep at the good work. I never heard of this before, although I've heard of other similar stories of the disrespect at cemeteries with damage to headstones, etc. Needless to say that I'm shocked and outraged to know that people would go to this extreme. Why?! There is no need for this. Also, you've made it possible to inform others that may not be aware of items like this. Are there any updates to this particular article?

Olive Tree Genealogy said...

Thanks G. Cappello - I think news is valuable, even "old" news, as it affects us today. I have looked for an update on the cemetery and have not been able to find anything. I will post any updates if found.