I was able to track down various obituaries for the family of Sam and Mary Gentile who came from Italy to Canada in the early 1900s.
From these records as well as census records online on Ancestry.com , and burial records on FindAGrave, we could put together a family group for the children of Sam and Mary.
- Winnifred Gentile d. pre 2003 married Andy Venier
- Sam Gentile Jr. 1913-1983 married Margaret
- Josephine Gentile d. pre 2003 married Sam Peckett
- Rose Gentile d. pre 2003 married Harold Lott
- Vince Gentile1930-1984
- John Joseph Dominic Gentile 1925-2009 married Dorothy O'Keefe 1925-1993
- Peter C. Gentile 1919-2003
On Sunday I received an email from Kevin Gentile, a firefighter living in Kitchener Ontario. Kevin informed me that his grandfather Salvatore (Sam) Gentile was the writer of the letters! It seems Sam sent them to his parents during his time stationed in England in WW2.
Kevin graciously provided me with a detailed family outline from Sam down and gave me permission to post an update here on Olive Tree Genealogy blog. But for privacy reasons I will not divulge names of Kevin's siblings. Kevin has 3 young children and is excited to connect with his grandfather's letters.
I have put Jared and Kevin in touch and am waiting to hear the result of their phone conversation! Thanks again to readers who jumped in to help reunite these WW2 letters with a descendant.