Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

October 26, 2014

No. 2 of My Top Ten Genealogy Mysteries

My Top 10 Genealogy Mysteries
A Facebook friend recently posted her top 10 Genealogy Mysteries.  They aren't brick walls because there is probably an answer somewhere, just waiting to be found. 

 I thought this was a great idea and I am following suit with my Top 10 Genealogy Mysteries. Of course any help or suggestions for further research are welcome. 

Here is my Number 2 of 10 Genealogy Mysteries:

Maria Bradt 1713 - ?  

Maria Bradt is my 6th great grandmother. I know very little about her. She was baptised on 24 May 1713 in Albany New York to parents Storm Bradt and Sophia Uziele

In 1732 Maria bore an illegitimate child.  A son Isaac was baptised on 17 December 1732 in Schoharie New York. He was recorded in the Dutch Reformed Church records as Falkenburg [sic], after his father Isaac Van Valkenburg. Little Isaac's paternal grandparents were the sponsors at his baptism. 

The record reads:

Dec. 17 1732. Mother Maria Bradden [sic] daughter of Storm. Child Isaac Falkenburg. Sponsors: Isaac Falkenburg and his wife Lydia [this is Lydia Van Slyke]


The mystery: What happened to Isaac's mother Maria Bradt? I have found nothing further on her after this baptism in 1732. 

Her son Isaac Van Valkenburg fled to Canada as a Loyalist during the American Revolution and his surname, as well as those of his children, changed to Vollick (aka Follick) 

1 comment:

catkinson54 said...

Lorine, years ago we corresponded before you wrote your BRADT book.
You helped me with my BRADT line.
In my database I have Andries Bradt married to Margareta Van Slyck, who is the daughter of Jacques Cornelius Van Slyck and Margarita aka Grietje Ryckman. Since your lines follow mine in siblings etc, I was adding the information of the Bible to my tree that you have posted. I find that you have Margareta Grietje Van Slyck married to Harmen Vedder.

So, this shows that there are two daughters Margareta of the same parents being married to Harmen Vedder and Andries Bradt.

Can you help me? Did I lose a generation or miss something?

Andries Bradt is the son of Arent Andriessen Bradt and Catalyntje De Vos.

Thank you. I really love your websites and blogs.

Carolyn Leverich Atkinson
catkinson54@msn.com