Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

February 22, 2017

Meme: Immigrant Ancestor Hartman Hunsicker

There is a lot of discussion about immigration in America right now. Tempers have flared over the President's Travel Ban, and different groups hold various strong opinions. There is also Brexit, where immigration was a large focus of the recent vote which resulted in the U.K. leaving the E.U.

I've been following this for several months and it occurs to me that those of us in Canada, America, and Australia have immigrant ancestors. Have you researched yours? Do you know who they were, why they came to your country and when? Do you know how they fared once settled in their new land? Were they welcomed? Were they shunned? Was their discrimination based on their religion or ethnic origin? These are all questions that are important, and interesting to discover. With that in mind, I'm the dedicating Saturdays (as many as needed) as the day to join me in discussing your immigrant ancestors.
You will be able to read any you are interested in by using the keyword Immigrant Ancestors. I'm going to share each week what I know of my immigrant ancestors to North America (whether that is USA or Canada)

Today's immigrant ancestors is my 7th great-grandfather Hartman Hunsicker born circa 1692. Hartman was a Mennonite from Leistal, Bassel, Switzerland. 

Variations on the Hunsaker surname are: Hunsicker, Hunsecker, Hunsiker, Hunziger, Huntzinger and Hunsucker. Supposedly, the name derives from the origins of Valentine Hunsicker, in the centre of the Schwartzwald (the German Black Forest), about 70 miles north of Zurich where there is found a district which bears names from the time of Attila the Hun, in Hunstruck, Hunstruecker, Hunsbach, and in the center of the valley, Hunseck (Huns' Valley). It is believed that the name Hunsecker came from this valley and possibly this is the origin of the family.

Hartman and his wife Anna Stirtz had 5 children born to them in Switzerland. In 1726 Hartman fled Switzerland for Germany. Hartman and Anna relocated to Weisbaden Germany where two more children were born to the couple.

"Hartman Huntseker" fled Germany for Pennsylvania, arriving 10 September 1731 on the Pennsylvania Merchant, loaded with Palatine passengers from Rotterdam, John Stedman, Commander. Anna,  Frena and Eliz. Huntseker, all over age 16, were also on the ship, as were some under age 16: Anna, Ursul, Meyer and Hannes Huntseker. 


Hartman Hunsaker died 1733 in Frederick Township in what is now Montgomery County Pennsylvania.  Anna, his widow, married Jacob Cocghnower the widowed Preacher of the Skippack Mennonite Church in Perikomen Township in Montgomery Co Pennsylvania in 1734.
 

They moved to Manheim Twp Lancaster County Pennsylvania soon after the marriage. Anna died in 1737 and Jacob Cocghnower married for the 3rd time in 1738.

4 comments:

Marian B. Wood said...

Looking forward to more of your immigrant ancestor stories. My husband has four Mayflower ancestors, but my family didn't arrive until the late 19th century and early 20th century. Feeling grateful that they were able to start new lives here!

Dana Leeds said...

Interesting! I haven't worked on this part of my husband's family in many years, but he has Hunsuckers in his family, too! I just looked, and I don't have much documentation, so I need to redo this part of his tree. But, it appears they came from Germany and arrived in Pennsylvania in 1748. I appreciate the background information about the surname!

Olive Tree Genealogy said...

Dana, I haven't looked at my Mennonite family lines in many years so it's fun to get going again by posting about them here! Maybe your husband and I are related :-)

Olive Tree Genealogy said...

Marian - Your husband is lucky. I have no New England ancestry and my mom's side is strictly England arriving Canada 1914. My dad's is where I get some intriguing 17th century arrivals!