Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

October 19, 2017

Surnames A-Z

There's a new meme going around Facebook right now. Genealogists are listing their mother's maiden name, father's surname, maternal and paternal grandparents' surnames and a few more generations back.

It's a cute idea but I don't think it's wise to be providing such detail, especially your mother's maiden name, as it is often the secret question asked on sites where you require a password to log in.

So I'm revising the meme to suit me and I hope others will follow suit, either here as a comment on Olive Tree Genealogy blog, or on their own blog.

Over the coming weeks I'll be listing my surnames starting with "A" and going through the alphabet until I reach "Z".

I'll preface this with a caveat - most surnames are more common than you might think, so sharing a surname doesn't mean we're related. To be completely useful any surname list should have a geographic location and a time period. But this is just a fun little exercise and if you spot a name of interest, just let me know and we'll compare dates and locations.

Here are my "A" surnames:

A SURNAMES: Abel, Allard, Allen, Alman, Ammis, Andrews, Ansell, Austin

Are you ready to join me? Maybe we connect somewhere!


5 comments:

MelissaLowAndHigh said...

Andrews and Austin? From Massachusetts?

Olive Tree Genealogy said...

Sorry but no Massachusetts names. Both from England

Unknown said...

While I have a lot, the "matches" are Andrews, one of my brick walls, b. in either NH or MA, and Austin.

Olive Tree Genealogy said...

Doris mine is England

Marcy Belles said...

Joining you in listing surnames. Here's my blog link: http://familyandmemories.blogspot.com/2017/11/surnames-z-names.html