Angie Harmon sets out to discover the roots of her beloved father, whose heritage is relatively vague, on Who Do You Think You Are?, airing this Sunday, March 22 at 10/9c on TLC.
On her journey, Angie uncovers the dramatic story of her 5X great grandfather, who endured hardship and danger as an immigrant coming to America. She discovers that he fought in the American Revolution and risked death for standing his ground. She makes modern connections with some of her own values that appear to have been in the family for generations.
Key details discovered in Angie’s episode include:
· Angie traces all the way up to her 5x great grandfather Michael Harmon. She discovers that Michael was the first immigrant ancestor on the Harmon side, and to her surprise, from Germany.
· Angie discovers Michael Harmon gave up his freedom to come to America, fought for his new country’s independence, and risked everything at a pivotal point in America’s history.
· Angie finds out that Michael Harmon as an indentured servant once arriving in the US.
· Michael Harmon was released from servitude right in the middle of the Revolutionary War, and enlisted with the 4th Pennsylvania Regiment on May 10, 1777.
· Angie discovers that Michael Harmon camped at Valley Forge under the command of George Washington.
· However, Michael and his entire Pennsylvania line mutinied due to horrible conditions. Eventually the U.S. army met their terms, and the soldiers were able to leave service if they chose – Michael’s war service ended after the mutiny.
· Michael owned multiple plantations and finally got married and had 7 children, perhaps starting the tradition of big Harmon families.
· Angie finds her ancestors land on an old map, and heads out to see her ancestral land.
Image Credit: TLC