Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

August 31, 2015

Are You on Social Media Channels?

Are You on Social Media Channels?
My Twitter Page
Are You on Social Media Channels? If not, you might want to have a peek at some. You could be quite surprised at how many genealogists can be found on various sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram,  Google+ and Periscope (and LinkedIn but it's more business oriented)

I am all of the above. They are great for making connections with other genealogists and if you are trying to generate any kind of income from your genealogy pursuits, they are a must.

My Instagram Page Today
Each Social Media channel has its own flavor and rules. Facebook for example is more casual where Twitter is a bit more formal (and you are constrained by a limit of how many characters can be each of your tweets or updates). Periscope is streaming video which you create yourself to show your followers or you are the watcher, and there are some intriguing "scopes" out there! Instagram relies on photos to capture other people's attention.

If you want to check out these Social Media Channels, here's where I can be found:

My Facebook Page
So come on over to one of my channels (or all of them if you want!), check them out and join me. Say hello once you get there, I'd love to see you. I am most often found on Twitter and Facebook but I am on Pinterest, Instagram and Periscope daily. 



7 comments:

Mary Foxworthy said...

"Dear Myrt" also uses and suggests using Second Life.

T said...

I notice on pintrest you have a section for Orphaned soldier's items. Maybe it should be Soldier's orphaned items? Or were the soldiers really orphans?

Dana Leeds said...

Ok... I'm giving Twitter a try! I recently created an account to follow some horse racing we're involved in, but I'd never tweeted before. Just did my first tweet. Maybe you can follow me and get me started? :) I have a lot to learn. My name is @EnthGenealogist

Olive Tree Genealogy said...

Hi Dana

I am happy to follow you but it's easiest if you follow me and I follow back. However... I had a look at your Twitter page and I don't follow locked accounts and I don't follow eggs. That means you need a profile photo and unlock your account. Your choice, I'm just letting you know my "rules" for following.

Lorine

Dana Leeds said...

Hi, Lorine. It took me awhile to figure out how to unlock my account and add a profile picture. I also followed you. Hopefully it is all fixed! Again... I'm brand new to Twitter & don't really understand how it works (yet) but am willing to learn!

Jenna said...

I too utilize multiple social media channels. I use these channels for education, entertainment and research. I think of Twitter as a big, noisy, crowded cocktail party. You have to get out there and mingle and make eye contact. Wall flowers, get let behind!

Jana Iverson Last said...

I also use lots of social media channels. I've even created a weebly website called Jana's Genealogy and Social Media Hub that has links to the various places I can be found online ~ http://janalast.weebly.com/

Lorine, I also want to let you know that your blog post is listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2015/09/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-september-4.html

Have a great weekend!