Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

November 19, 2015

Fun Ways to Learn About Your Parents' School Life

I am always on the lookout for the Yearbooks of Guelph Collegiate Vocational Institute from the 1920s and 1930s. Both my parents went there, as did many other relatives. 

A few years ago I was lucky enough to find one from 1928, one from 1929 and one from 1933. There was mention of my dad in 1928 and 1929! 

Actra Nostra, Yearbook of Guelph Collegiate Vocational Institute

1928. Form 3 Industrial: "What Would You Say if You Saw" (followed by a half dozen student names, each with a one line statement) "Cecil McGinnis attend school regularly?" Hah! Sounds like my dad skipped school a lot!

1929. Alumni Section "Cec MGinnis is [working] at Holman Luggage" 


The fun thing is that I had no idea where my father worked before marrying my mother other than Biltmore Hats. Knowing he was at Holman Luggage sent me scrambling to find out more about them.

The Curator at Guelph Civil Museum told me "They made luggage and cribbage boards". I did more research and found this:

Holman Luggage was first known as the Stratford Luggage Company in 1923 and was located in Stratford. Expansion was necessary and by 1925 Mr. Ivey Holman moved the company to Guelph and it was located on the 2nd floor of 82 Yarmouth. In 1930 they moved to Carden Street in the Bell Piano building. In 1946 there was a fire and company had to relocate to 167 Suffolk St. West. Holman's stayed on Suffolk Street until they closed in 1975. The company manufactured luggage, cases and tables.


I even found a photo of my mother and notice that she had won a Typewriting Award. 

Last week I was able to purchase the 1931 GCVI Yearbook and there was my mother's name again. 

There was no photo but I found out she was in the Second year of Commercial. Now I know that I have to keep looking for the 1932 issue of Acta Nostra to see a photo of her when she graduated.

No comments: