Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

October 2, 2013

Bright Solid Changes its Name

Bright Solid Changes its Name
Bright Solid, the UK based company that brings genealogists GenesReunited and FindMyPast websites, has changed their name. As of now it will be known as D C Thomson Family History.

D C Thomson may be known in the corporate world but I am willing to bet that the majority of genealogists don't have a clue who he is and why on earth Bright Solid would choose that for the name of their company. For those who are curious, D C Thomson is the media company owner.
Dundee-based media company owner

Bright Solid didn't ask for my opinion but if they had I'd have advised them to take a look at Ancestry.com's attempts at re-branding over the years. Does anyone remember the Generations Network?

It's usually a bad idea for a company to change it's name. All it does is confuse their customers. To be honest I always thought the name Bright Solid was odd but  I finally got the name straight. Now I have to learn their new one.

For more details see the Bright Solid post The Future of Family History is Digital

Credits: "Man And Question Mark" by Master isolated images on FreeDigitalPhotos.net



2 comments:

Jana Iverson Last said...

Lorine,

I want to let you know that your blog post is listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2013/10/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-october-4.html

Have a wonderful weekend!

ongrannystrail said...

I'm with you...silly new name. I, too, thought Bright Solid made no sense for a name, so you'd think if they are going to the trouble to change it they would do a little market research to come up with a good one!