Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

October 8, 2013

Thinking about Ancestors and Their Cars

A few days ago hubs and I purchased a new vehicle. Wanting to show it to friends and family we took photos and posted them on Facebook. That got me thinking this morning about my ancestors and their cars. Did they take as much (or more) delight in their new vehicles as we do?

Hubs and I chatted, trying to recall any photos we had of family or ancestors with their cars. After a half hour or more of hunting through folders on our two computers, we came up with the photos you see below. They start with hubs' great grandmother (in the hat) in her carriage going to town.

And they end with me in front of our new vehicle. It's fun to see the changes in cars and it makes me wish I'd taken more photos of all the cars I've owned in my lifetime and that my ancestors had done the same! My mom often talked about riding in the rumble seat of her dad's Model T. What I wouldn't give to have a picture of that.....

What photos do you have of ancestors and their cars?


Thinking about Ancestors and Their Cars
Very early pre-car days!
Thinking about Ancestors and Their Cars
circa 1920s
Hubs' grandparents drove off on their honeymoon in this car

My mother and grandfather (far right) circa mid 1930s

1930s. Hubs' grandfather is on the right holding the horse
Hubs' grandparents late 1930s


Car Pride 1950s

More car pride 1950s

A Young teenager (me) circa 1961/1962
I'm shovelling snow from my 1977 Pontiac Acadian

and now...

7 comments:

Rita A. said...

Love these. Especially the lady sitting on the fender. I have lots of family car photos. Yes, they were very proud!

M. Diane Rogers said...

Nice set of photos (and vehicles). A while ago, I gathered mine together and have done a few presentations on 'cars in the family' - and on researching car owners, etc. A fun topic - even though I've never owned a vehicle myself (and have never had a licence to drive).

Jan L said...

These are great! And a good topic for those journal entries that I miss!

Colleen G. Brown Pasquale said...

What a great little history with cars!

Roger Kidd said...

Awesome pics from one genealogy buff to another!? Kygenealogy.com

Keith Hopkin said...

I love the photo of the storefronts with all the cars, people and grandfather with horse. Can you tell me what town this photo was taken in? I trust it is in southern Ontario somewhere. Regards, Keith Hopkin.

Olive Tree Genealogy said...

Hi Keith

Yep it is St. Mary's Ontario - you are absolutely correct :-)