Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

August 10, 2014

Sharing Memories Week 32 - Liar Liar Pants on Fire!

Sharing Memories Week 32 - Liar Liar Pants on Fire!
Join us for Sharing Memories - A Genealogy Journey We focus on memories of our parents, grandparents and others. We write for our children and grandchildren, that the memories are not lost over time. I hope you are keeping a journal, whether it is private or public, and joining us as we write our memoirs.

The prompt for this week (Week 32) is Liar Liar Pants on Fire!

Did you tell fibs as a child? Or were you always honest and truthful. Were your fibs little ones ("No Mommy I didn't eat that cookie.") or were they whoppers ("No Mommy I didn't cut sister's hair.")? 

I told a few fibs in my time. Some were whoppers. After saving up for a long time, my parents bought a stereo system. And one day I scratched my initials into the top. I was about 7 years old at the time. Why did I do it? I don't know, but I remember thinking how nice and shiny it was before getting my mother's tiny sewing machine screwdriver and going at it. 

When my parents spotted the shaky "L.M." scratched on top of their pride and joy, they obviously knew it was me but I accused my brother who had the same initials. However big brother was 9 years older than me so no way did Mom and Dad believe he did it. 

I outgrew the lying stage of childhood and in fact I can't even tell a social white lie because people can tell I'm not being honest! My husband says it's something to do with the look on my face. 

What about you? Do you remember telling fibs when you were a kid?



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure we all told fibs as kids, but my favorite example from my family was one told by a cousin when he was a pre-schooler. This cousin had a pet dog, "Inky". My cousin had an accident in his pants one day, and when his mother noticed it, he blurted out, "Inky did it!" Now whenever we have a mysterious event nobody wants to own up to, the standard answer is, "Inky did it!"

Olive Tree Genealogy said...

I love it! "Inky did it!" LOL